ayat & menu

There is no good in much of their secret conferences save (in) whosoever enjoineth charity and fairness and peace-making among the people and whoso doeth that, seeking the good pleasure of God, We shall bestow on him a vast reward.
(Al-Nisa, 4:114).

WELCOME :: MAIN MENU MOVED TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS BLOG

Search This Blog

Showing posts with label Uighurs. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Uighurs. Show all posts

Saturday, February 4, 2023

Volkswagen eyes more cooperation opportunities in China?

 Volkswagen benefit from Uyghur Forced Labour ?

__________________________________________

Volkswagen eyes more cooperation opportunities in China.
Xinhua | Updated: 2023-02-02 14:50 

CHANGCHUN - China is the most important market for Volkswagen, and the company will seek more cooperation opportunities in the country in the future, Oliver Blume, chairman of the Board of Management of Volkswagen AG, told Xinhua in a recent interview.

In 2022, Volkswagen delivered more than 3.18 million vehicles in the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong markets. Among them, 206,500 new-energy vehicles were delivered, up 37.1 percent year-on-year, with the delivery of pure electric models up 68.2 percent year-on-year.

"We have a strong product lineup in China, such as Audi and Porsche, and we hope to continue expanding our product lineup, taking advantage of new technologies and developing new products," Blume said.

Volkswagen has several partners in China, including China FAW Group Co Ltd, founded in 1953 in the northeastern city of Changchun, capital of Jilin province and regarded as the cradle of China's auto industry.

In recent years, Jilin has been actively developing the auto industry clusters to accelerate the transformation and upgrading of the industry. According to the provincial government's latest plan, the scale of Jilin's auto industry is expected to reach one trillion yuan ($148.96 billion) by 2025.

"We have had very successful cooperation with FAW Group over the past 30 years, and we will continue working hard and cooperating sincerely in the future," said Blume.

In 2022, FAW Group achieved vehicle sales of 3.2 million units, with operating revenue hitting 630 billion yuan and profits topping 49 billion yuan.

Last November, Blume visited China with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, and held important meetings with Chinese government officials to discuss future cooperation.

After the Spring Festival holiday, he scheduled another trip to China, visiting the cities of Changchun, Shanghai and Hefei this week. He hopes to gain a better understanding of the market and frontier technologies, and to gain new potential partners in the country.

In Blume's view, it is not only the Chinese market that they find very important, but also the cooperation opportunities in China, especially in the high-tech and electric transformation sectors. At the end of last year, Volkswagen announced its partnership with Chinese automotive chip company Horizon Robotics.

"Such partnerships will become more and more important in the future, and working with partners will help us integrate into Chinese society more deeply," said Blume.

In recent years, new-energy vehicles have been expanding their market share in China. Data released by the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers shows that China's new-energy vehicle production and sales reached nearly 7.06 million units and 6.89 million units, respectively, in 2022.

Blume said that in the next few years, Volkswagen will maintain its success in the fuel car market while focusing on the pure electric vehicle market in China.

Blume is also bullish about the Chinese economy in 2023. "The market situation will continue to change this year, and China will maintain positive growth. Especially in the second half of the year, the market will recover more strongly," he said.

______________________________________________________

Sunday, January 29, 2023

Volkswagen Must End Uyghur Forced Labour in its Supply Chains as CEO Visits China

 The Society for Threatened Peoples (GfbV) and the World Uyghur Congress (WUC) called upon Volkswagen CEO Oliver Blume today, to comment on the role of Uyghur forced labourers in the VW Group’s supply chains, during his visit to China which is scheduled to begin on Sunday: “Volkswagen has a moral responsibility not only because of its dark past. The group must ensure that it does not profit directly or indirectly from the genocide of the Uyghurs and other Turkic people. Mr. Blume must finally take serious and sustained action to ensure that VW’s supply chains are free of Uyghur forced labour,” said WUC President Dolkun Isa.

Recently published research from the University of Sheffield shows the extent to which Uyghur forced labour is part of the supply chains of companies like Volkswagen. “Under no circumstances should Mr. Blume repeat the mistakes of his predecessor Herbert Diess. He preferred to pretend that the crimes of the Chinese state against the Uyghurs did not exist. In fact, the group has had a responsibility to review its supply chains not just since the Supply Chain Act came into force. After his return, Blume should meet with Uyghurs whose relatives have disappeared or died in the camps,” demanded Hanno Schedler, GfbV consultant for genocide prevention and responsibility to protect.


PRESS RELEASE - WORLD UYGHUR CONGRESS 

Saturday, August 13, 2011

No Ramadhan for Uighur Muslims.


No Ramadhan for Uighur Muslims
Urumqi, Aug 06 (OnIslam.net) – Amid fresh arrests, restrictions on fasting and prayers at mosques, Uighur Muslims are suffering under the latest episode of Chinese government crackdown on their ethnic minority in the northwestern region of Xinjiang.
“If any religious figure discusses Ramadhan during the course of religious activities, or encourages people to take part, then they will lose their license to practice,” Dilxat Raxit, spokesman for the Munich-based World Uighur Congress, told Eurasia Review on Friday, August 5.
“The more serious cases will result in arrests for incitement to engage in illegal religious activity,” he said.
A day before the start of the holy fasting month for China's Muslims, at least 11 people were killed in a series of attacks in the north-western region of Xinjiang.
Chinese authorities blamed the attacks to the ethnic minority, after which the Chinese police shot dead two Muslims last Sunday.
The attacks came less than two weeks after 18 people were killed in an attack in the restive Xinjiang region.
Following the unrest, more than 100 uighurs were detained by Chinese authorities.
Most of those detained as suspects were committed Muslims who attended mosque and whose wives wore veils, residents say.
IRIB | Aug 6 , 2011 - read full report 


Friday, January 29, 2010

Uighurs returned to China 'disappear' says rights group.


(New York) - The Chinese government should disclose the status and whereabouts of ethnic Uighurs repatriated against their will from Cambodia and allow the United Nations, lawyers, and family members to meet with them, Human Rights Watch said today.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Uighurs seeking asylum deported to China.


Posted Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:23am AEDT

Cambodia has deported 20 Chinese Uighurs who had sought asylum there after fleeing ethnic riots in China's far west region of Xinjiang in July.

The expulsions came ahead of a visit to Cambodia by the Chinese vice-president, Xi Jingping.

Witnesses said the Uighurs left on an unmarked plane from Phnom Penh's military air field.

A government spokesman confirmed the flight was heading to China.

Earlier the authorities said the Uighurs were being deported because they had entered the country illegally.

Supporters of the Uighurs said they were fleeing persecution in China, where some had witnessed brutality by the authorities during ethnic violence in July.

A network of Christian missionaries had helped them to make their way to the Phnong Penn office of the United Nations refugee agency - the UNHRC.

The agency was still assessing the Uighurs' claim for refugee status when armed police took them into custody on Friday.
- BBC


Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Kadeer (Uighurs) Ends European Tour with a Productive Visit to the Netherlands

During a one-day visit to The Netherlands, Ms Kadeer discussed the Chinese suppression of the Uyghur people with human rights organizations, Dutch Members of Parliament, the press and academic experts. 

The Hague - 15 December 2009

Following her visit to six other countries, Ms Rebiya Kadeer ended her one-month European tour with a productive visit to the Dutch city of The Hague. Ms Kadeer, leader of the suppressed Uyghur people visited the Netherlands on Monday, December 14 2009, with the aim of engaging in dialogue with Dutch civil society, academia and government.

“When I was finally released from prison by the Chinese government in 2005, I promised myself that I would travel to Siberia to tell the story of the Uyghur people if only a single person wanted to hear it”. That is how Ms Kadeer opened her address to a wide range of human rights organizations in the morning of her visit. After outlining the long history of Uyghur oppression, Ms Kadeer explained how the Chinese government had used the 9/11 attacks and the current economic crisis as smokescreens to further suppress the Uyghur people without interference from the international community.

Following the discussion with human rights organizations, Ms Kadeer proceeded to talk with Dutch Members of Parliament. By invitation of MP Mr Harry van Bommel, Ms Kadeer had a meeting with members from the Commission of Foreign Affairs, in which she explicitly stipulated how the Dutch Parliament could take concrete steps towards the protection of human rights of the Uyghur people. After discussing the dire situation of the Uyghurs in East Turkestan following the July 5th unrest, the Dutch MPs agreed to submit parliamentary inquiries into the ongoing media blackout in Urumqi, capital of East Turkestan, which is used by the government of China to inhibit all communication with and amongst the Uyghur inhabitants of the region.

Ms Kadeer then went on to meet with a group of academic experts to discuss political, human rights and communications issues from a Uyghur perspective. During this meeting, co-hosted by UNPO and the Clingendael Institute, the participants discussed the influence of the situation in East Turkestan on the international relations between China and other countries.

Ms Kadeer travelled back to Washington D.C. on December 15th, to continue her advocacy from the D.C. Headquarters of the Uighur American Association.

Courtesy : UNPO